Since hitting puberty, I have never had perfectly clear skin. There, I said it. Although I had periods of time where my skin would behave, inevitably a breakout would erupt (especially in the hormonal zone, am I right ladies?) and I’d be back to square one.
Now that I’m in my 20s, I wanted to set myself up for ongoing skincare success. So, I decided to try enlisting the help of a professional to understand what I was doing wrong and what I could do better; as well as obtain a high quality skincare routine that targeted my specific needs.
Enter: Pure Beauty Skin Bar!
Pure Beauty Skin Bar (PBB) is a Cincinnati-based niche skin expertise clinic that specializes in treating acne and hyperpigmentation in skin. PBB’s owner Sylvia Brownlee is a true expert in her field and came highly recommended – so I knew I was in good hands.
Read on to discover the customized treatment plan that Sylvia created for me; as well as my progress and takeaways so far!
Table of Contents
What to Expect
The very first step of this entire process is to schedule a consultation with Sylvia and fill out an in-depth online form in order to identify your specific skincare concerns. At first, it might seem intimidating to list out every issue you’re having with your skin; and then walk into a place where you’re surrounded by images of flawless skin. However, Sylvia is super knowledgeable and approachable, so you’ll immediately know that you’re in good hands. Just be sure to keep an open mind and go in with zero product on, so that she can get a proper look at your skin.
My Customized Plan
For my particular skincare concerns, Sylvia decided that the PBB 3-month “Away with Acne” program would be the best way to go. I have acne-prone skin that also manages to be prone to sensitivity and dryness (lucky me!) so Sylvia provided me with a regimen that would target my pores without being too harsh on my skin.
The 3-month program has also involved check-ins and treatments every 2 weeks, which have been very beneficial for keeping my skin on track and monitoring any changes or adjustments needed. Another important component of the program is tracking what you eat, since that can play a big part in how your skin looks. In order to track this conveniently, Sylvia suggested that I use the free food diary included in the Pure Beauty Skin Bar mobile app.
Overall, the app was great for helping me (and Sylvia!) track what I was putting into my body and how my skin was reacting accordingly. The app also allows you to schedule appointments, send photos directly to Sylvia for guidance, and more.
Here’s a closer look at the products that Sylvia provided me with, which I use every day:
- Balancing Cleanser: This cleanser is gentle enough to use day and night, while helping to prevent my acne. Sylvia emphasized that in order to properly clean your face, you need to cleanse for at least 60 seconds. I never knew that!
- Ice: This is a step that you can find right in your freezer at home! Sylvia suggests icing the face for 1-2 minutes in order to stimulate the skin and tighten the pores; but I will admit that I make it about 1 minute before it starts feeling too cold on my face while melting in my hands!
- Cucumber Refreshing Mist: This spray serves as my Toner step, and according to Sylvia it helps my skin return to its natural pH before my next steps.
- Hydramandelic 5 Serum: Sylvia has a variety of serums depending on your skincare concern, but this serum in particular has active ingredients that work to unclog my pores and protect my skin from future damage.
- Hydra Balance Moisturizer: A moisturizer is a must, and the Hydra Balance works to put moisture back into the skin without weighing in down.
- PBS UV Shield 30 (SPF 30 Sunscreen): Alright, my fellow “melanated” friends: raise your hand if you’re guilty of not putting on sunscreen very often. That’s a big no-no! Sylvia shared with me that sunscreen is crucial no matter how much melanin you have, because it protects your skin from damage and premature aging. So now, sunscreen is always my last step before putting on makeup!
My nighttime routine is nearly identical to my morning routine, except that it swaps the Serum and Sunscreen for a pre-moisturizer step called Blemish Chaser. Blemish Chaser contains a mild exfoliant that helps slough away dead skin cells, and contains benzoyl peroxide to aid in treating any acne breakouts. This is my second-to-last step, preceded by the Cucumber Refreshing Mist and followed by Hydra Balance.
As I mentioned earlier, I have been meeting with Sylvia every 2 weeks to check on my skin and receive a treatment based on what my skin needs. Here’s a sampling of what I’ve received so far:
- Acne Peel
- Red Light Therapy
- Blue Light Therapy
- High Frequency Treatment
- Hydrating Mask
Although I am currently about halfway through our 3-month program, I already have learned a lot about my skin, how to take better care of it, and why I’ll definitely consider getting professional help periodically!
Here are some of my key takeaways thus far:
- You really do need to wear sunscreen every day – no matter how “melanated” you are. 😉
- Sugar is the enemy when it comes to skincare, and dairy is its accomplice! If you really want to see a dramatic difference in your skin, you need to cut these out completely. Otherwise, your progress may be more steady. So, I would recommend researching how to go dairy and sugar-free if you’re interested in the lifestyle change.
- Washing your face for 60 seconds is crucial in order to properly cleanse and allow products to penetrate. Washing for a few seconds and splashing water isn’t going to cut it!
- Icing your face tones the skin and helps tighten pores. Plus, it’s a great way to wake yourself up in the morning!
- Adding that professional touch to your routine can really, really come in handy. I recently had a mild allergic breakout on my skin due to coming into contact with a dog (long story short: I thought I wasn’t allergic to the breed, but I was!!), and my face was SO red and blotchy as a result. Luckily, Sylvia was able to inform me which products I should back off of until the allergy cleared due to active ingredients. If I didn’t have that professional advice and was on my own routine, I might have unknowingly irritated my skin further without realizing it.
Differences in My Skin
My skin has already experienced an amazing improvement that has both my friends and loved ones taking note and complimenting me. Needless to say, that has been a great ego boost! Here’s what I’ve noticed so far in my day-to-day life:
- A vast reduction in breakouts
- Brighter overall complexion
- Reduced clogging of pores
- Reduced hyperpigmentation
If all of this progress sounds awesome to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to Sylvia and schedule a consultation. Consultations are usually $25, but you can get 15% off with my code WITANDWISHES! Or, you can use the code for any other services on https://purebeautyskinbar.com.
I hope that this blog post was helpful in giving you an inside look at my ~professional~ skincare journey! I highly recommend Sylvia to help you in your own clear skin pursuits. Feel free to leave your questions or comments below!
*This post is part of a 3-month ambassadorship with Pure Beauty Skin Bar. All opinions and experiences are 100% my own.